Top Summer Salad Recipes
“Summer Salad” Recipes of the Week
- Grilled Watermelon with arugula and mint
- Vegetable oil, for brushing grill
- 4 1-inch-thick slices watermelon, rind removed (1½ lb.)
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 2 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp. agave nectar
- 6 cups arugual or watercress, coarsely chopped
- 3 oz. goat cheese, crumbled (¾ cup)
- 3 Tbs. chopped fresh mint
1. Brush grill grates with oil, and preheat grill to medium.
2. Brush watermelon slices with olive oil. Grill watermelon slices 5 minutes, or until just scorched around edges.
3. Whisk together balsamic vinegar and agave nectar in bowl. Toss half of vinegar mixture with watercress in large bowl.
4. Divide watercress salad among 4 plates. Top with grilled watermelon; garnish with feta cheese, mint, and remaining vinegar mixture.
2 Tbs. nonfat plain yogurt
2 Tbs. olive oil
2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
1/4 tsp. ground allspice
2 carrots, grated or julienned (1 1/2 cups)
1 red apple, grated (1 1/2 cups)
1 cup seedless grapes, halved
2 stalks celery, cut into thin matchsticks (1/2 cup)
1/2 cup dried cranberries or raisins
Whisk together yogurt, oil, vinegar, and allspice in large bowl. Add carrots, apple, grapes, celery, and cranberries.
Greek Pasta Salad
5 oz dry Lasagnettes pasta, uncooked (about 1 ½ cups)
(whole wheat pasta works great too!)
½ pint cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
1 cup cucumber, diced, seeded (peeled or unpeeled)
1 cup pitted Kalamata olives, drained
½ cup red onion, diced
3 oz good quality feta cheese, crumbled
¼ cup Greek Salad Dressing (recipe follows)
Coarse ground black pepper
Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain in a colander, rinse with cold water, and drain again. Transfer to a large bowl, add tomatoes, cucumber, olives, onions, and feta cheese. Toss together. Drizzle dressing over pasta; toss to coat. Cover and chill in refrigerator for 2 hours to 24 hours. Sprinkle black pepper and oregano. Makes 4-6 servings.