Healthy Raspberry Filled Cinnamon Sugar Muffins
These muffins are packed with nutritional goodness and secret swaps: whole wheat flour, applesauce, egg whites, and low fat buttermilk – but you won’t be able to tell at all!
The gooey raspberry preserves ooze out of each muffin when you bite into it, and the cinnamon sugar topping adds an element of decadence without any of the extra calories or fat.
They take about an hour to make (including baking time) – but it is so, so worth it.
For the muffins:
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 2/3 cups whole wheat flour or whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1-1.5 tsp ground nutmeg (I used 1.5 tsp because I love the flavor)
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1/4 cup unsweetened raspberry preserves (similar to Crofters Organic)
For the topping:
- 2 tsp melted butter
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 6 tsp sugar
Click here for directions.
Photo credit: Pickyeaterblog.com